AJAX MotionProtect Outdoor Manual
Manual / Webshop / Installation
If you want the best security system in Spain installed by us, choose installation.
The MotionProtect Outdoor is a wireless outdoor motion detector with protection against masking and false triggering. It is connected to the AJAX security system by Jeweller protected protocol, with a transmission distance of up to 1,700 m in the absence of obstacles. The detector can operate on preinstalled batteries or from an external power source for up to 5 years. The device detects motion at a distance of up to 15 m and ignores pets.
The detector only operates with the hub.
The detector is set up via a mobile application for iOS and Android based smartphones. The user is notified of all MotionProtect Outdoor events through push notifications, SMS messages and calls (if activated).
1. Main light indicator
2. Upper light indicator and masking sensor
3. Upper motion sensor lens
4. Varnish masking sensor
5. Lower light indicator and masking sensor
6. Lower motion sensor lens
7. SmartBracket attachment panel (the perforated part is necessary for tamper activation when attempting to pull the detector away from the surface)
8.The hole for attaching SmartBracket panel with a screw
9. “On” button
10. Tamper button
11. QR Code
12. Connector for external power supply cable outlet
13. Scrollbar for adjusting detection range
MotionProtect Outdoor sensors detect intrusions into the secured area, and the detector can ignore animals, birds, insects, as well as swaying of low-growing plants and trees.
When the system is armed, the detector continuously receives signals from two PIR sensors. When movement is detected, MotionProtect Outdoor instantly transmits the alarm to the hub and signals with a flashing green LED. The alarm will only be sent to the hub when the detector’s two thermal sensors detect identical motion signals.
When triggered, the armed detector instantly transmits the alarm signal, activating the sirens connected to the hub and notifying the user and the security company of the threat.
Motion alarm is transmitted every 5 seconds
If the movement is detected before the system is armed, the detector will be armed not immediately, but during the next polling by the hub.
Masking is an attempt to block the view of the detector lens with any object.
The MotionProtect Outdoor detects the following types of masking:
If one or more types of masking are detected, the detector generates a masking alarm and lights up a green LED on the detector for 1 second. The detector detects masking in both active and passive mode.
Response time to masking
An obstacle in front of both lenses: In the active mode (detector is armed) it will take 1 second to activate the alarm and 5,4 seconds to restore. In the passive mode (detector is disarmed) it will take 300 seconds to activate the alarm and 18 seconds to restore.
An obstacle in front of any of the lenses: In the active mode (detector is armed) it will take 150 seconds to activate the alarm and 13 seconds to restore. In the passive mode (detector is disarmed) it will take 150 seconds to activate the alarm and 5,4 seconds to restore.
Pasting or painting any of the lens: In the active mode (detector is armed) it will take 150 seconds to activate the alarm and 13 seconds to restore. In the passive mode (detector is disarmed) it will take 150 seconds to activate the alarm and 5,4 seconds to restore.
Pasting the front of the detect: In the active mode (detector is armed) it will take 150 seconds to activate the alarm and 9 seconds to restore. In the passive mode (detector is disarmed) it will take 300 seconds to activate the alarm and 18 seconds to restore.
Applying aerosol lacquer / paint or brushing the front of the detect: In the active mode (detector is armed) it will take 150 seconds to activate the alarm and 9 seconds to restore. In the passive mode (detector is disarmed) it will take 150 seconds to activate the alarm and 9 seconds to restore.
Before starting connection:
1. Following the hub instruction recommendations.
Install the AJAX application on your smartphone.
Create an account and add the hub to the application.
Create at least one room.
3. Switch on the hub and check the internet connection (via Ethernet cable and/or GSM network).
4. Ensure that the hub is disarmed and does not start updates by checking its status in the mobile application.
1. Select the Add Device option in the AJAX application.
2. Name the device. Scan the QR Code (located on the body and packaging) and select the location room.
3. Select Add — the countdown will begin.
4. Switch on the device by pressing the on/off button for 3 seconds.
For the detection and interfacing to occur, the detector should be located within the coverage area of the wireless network of the hub (at a single protected object). Request for connection to the hub is transmitted for a short time at the time of switching on the device.
MotionProtect Outdoor turns off automatically after 6 seconds, if it failed to connect to the hub. To retry the connection, you do not need to turn off the device. If the detector has already been assigned to another hub, turn off MotionProtect Outdoor, and then follow the standard addition procedure.
If the connection to the hub failed, repeat the connection attempt after 30 seconds.
The device connected to the hub will appear in the list of devices of the hub in the application. Update of the MotionProtect Outdoor statuses in the list depends on the device inquiry time set in the hub settings, with the default value – 36 seconds.
To avoid masking alarms, switch off anti-masking in the device settings prior to installation
Temperature: Temperature of the Detector. Measured on the processor and changes gradually
Signal Strength: The strength of the signal between a hub and the detector
Battery Charge: Battery level of the detector, displayed in increments of 25%
Lid: The tamper mode of the detector, which reacts to the detachment of or damage to the body
Delay when entering, sec: Delay time when entering
Delay when leaving, sec: Delay time when exiting
Connection: Status of the connection between the hub and the sensor
Sensitivity: Sensitivity level of the motion detector: low, normal, high
Anti-masking: If active, sensor will detect masking
Always Active: If active, the motion detector always detects movement
Firmware: Detector firmware version
Device ID: Device identifier
First field: Detector name (editable)
Room: The virtual room to which the device can be assigned
Sensitivity: Choosing the sensitivity level of the motion sensor
Anti-masking: If active, sensor will always detect masking
Always active: If enabled, motion detection stays active always
Delay when entering, sec: Selecting delay time when entering
Delay when leaving, sec: Selecting delay time on exit
Delays in night mode: If active, the detector will switch to armed mode when using night mode
Arm in night mode: If active, the detector becomes armed once system enters Night Mode
Alert with a siren if motion detected: If active, HomeSiren and StreetSiren are activated if the motion is detected
Signal Strength Test: Switches the detector into the signal level test mode
Detection Zone Test:
Switches the detector to the detection area test:
General motion detector test
Upper motion detector test
Lower motion detector test
Masking sensor test
Attenuation test: Switches the detector to the signal fade test mode (available in detectors with firmware version 3.50 and later)
User Guide: Opens the detector User Guide
Unpair device: Disconnects the detector from the hub and deletes its settings
MotionProtect Outdoor light indicator may light up red or green depending on the device status.
Indication When Pressing the “On” button
The power button is pressed (detector is on) | Lights up red while the button is held down
Turning on | Lights up green while the device is switching on
Turning off | Initially lights up red, then blinks three times
Connecting the detector to the hub | Lights up green for a few seconds
Hardware error | Flashes red continuously | The detector needs to be repaired, contact us
Motion- and masking-triggered alarm or tamper triggering | Lights up green for about 1 second
Battery replacement needed | Smoothly lights up green and goes off | Replacement of the detector battery is described in the Battery Replacement paragraph
The AJAX security system allows conducting tests for checking the functionality of connected devices.
The tests do not start straight away but within a period of 36 seconds when using the standard settings. The test time start depends on the settings of the detector scanning period (the paragraph on “Jeweller” settings in hub settings).
Signal Strength Test
Detection Zone Test
The MotionProtect Outdoor must be located at a height of 0.8 – 1.3 m. The detector body is located in a way that the upper lens axis is parallel to ground level and the supposed path of intruder entry passes perpendicular to the lens axis.
The MotionProtect Outdoor sends an alarm to the hub only if identical motion signals are detected with two PIR sensors. In this case, the difference in motion capture time shall not exceed 1.5 seconds in this case.
It is recommended to check the functioning of the detector at the proposed installation site! When choosing a location for MotionProtect Outdoor, consider the limited range of the radio signal.
If the signal level is one division, we cannot guarantee stable operation of the security system. Take possible measures to improve the quality of the signal! As a minimum, move the device – even 20 cm shift can significantly improve the quality of reception.
If, after moving, the device still has a low or unstable signal strength, use a radio signal range extender ReX.
Take care when installing the attachment panel. Excessive force during its fixation can lead to deformation, and, consequently, to the inability to install the detector or to its unreliable fixation. Secure the attachment panel only with the bundled mounting tools! Using other fasteners, e.g. large diameter self-tappers, may damage the attachment panel. It is not recommended to use double-sided adhesive tape during installation as it dries out over time and the detector may fall down leading to its malfunctioning.
Do not install the detector:
Note that MotionProtect Outdoor does not detect movement behind the glass. Therefore, do not install the detector in locations where glass objects can obstruct the detector’s view. For example, in places where a glass door can obstruct the view of the device.
Install detector at a height 0.8 to 1.3 meters so that its upper lens looks parallel to the ground. If the site is uneven, the installation height is considered from the highest point of the territory controlled by the detector.
1. Temporarily fix the SmartBracket attachment panel on the surface to determine the optimal place for installing the detector.
The detector must be installed at a height of 0.8 – 1.3 meters.
2. Select the required detection distance (3 to 15 m) for the detector with the detection distance adjustment scroll bar.
The Lower PIR sensor beam direction of the detector with a specified minimum (1) and maximum (2) detection range
3. Put the MotionProtect Outdoor on the SmartBracket attachment panel. Leave the detector detection area (horizontal detection angle — 90°) and ensure that there is no motion within the detection coverage area to provide for calibration of masking sensors.
The masking sensors will begin to calibrate automatically when the SmartBracket attachment panel is placed onto the MotionProtect Outdoor body. Calibration lasts up to 30 seconds and is followed by flashing of the upper and lower LED indicators of the detector.
4. Perform detection area and masking tests in the AJAX Security System application. In the case of a bad motion response, select the appropriate sensitivity level, detection range, and check the slope angle of the detector.
5. Fasten the SmartBracket attachment panel to the surface with wood screws, place the detector on the attachment panel and wait until calibration is complete. Fix the detector on the attachment panel with the bundled screw.
To connect the external power supply:
1. Unscrew the wood screws and open the detector body.
2. Break off the corresponding blind plug of the SmartBracket attachment panel:
1. For power supply cable outlet behind the SmartBracket attachment panel
2. For power supply cable outlet below the SmartBracket attachment panel
3. Run the external power supply dead cable through the attachment panel and blind plug on the back of the detector body.
4. Connect the cable to the terminal strips observing polarity. Fix the wires with a clamp.
3. Terminal strips on the detector board
4. Clamp on the back of the body
5. Turn on the power — in the menu of the MotionProtect Outdoor detector, the value of the External Power Supply field will change to Connected.
6. Fasten the rear of the body with wood screws, install the detector and wait until calibration is complete.
Clean the detector body from dust, cobwebs, and other contaminants as they emerge.
Use a soft dry cloth that is suitable for equipment care.
Do not use substances that contain alcohol, acetone, gasoline or other active solvents to clean the detector. Carefully wipe the lens — scratches on the plastic can reduce the detector sensitivity.
The battery installed in the detector provides up to 5 years of autonomous operation (at a hub polling rate of 3 minutes). When the detector battery is discharged, the security system will send the appropriate notification, and the LED will smoothly light up and go out when the detector detects a movement or tamper is triggered.
The detector has a built-in battery charge control system.
As soon as the bundled batteries need to be replaced, you will receive an appropriate notification.
To change the battery:
1. Turn off external power (if connected).
2. Remove the sensor from the SmartBracket
3. Turn off the device by press the power button for 3 seconds, the sensor blinks three times.
4. Unscrew the two screws and remove back panel of the detector.
5. Replace batteries with new types of CR123A (2 pcs), observing polarity.
It is necessary to replace both batteries at once in order to ensure the proper functioning of the detector.
Furthermore, never install used or damaged batteries.
6. Reattach the back lid of the detector and tighten the screws.
7. Turn on the detector and check the battery status in the app.
The battery status is not updated instantly but during the next polling of the devices (by default, every 36 seconds).
- MotionProtect Outdoor
- SmartBracket mounting panel
- CR123A battery — 2 pcs. (pre-installed)
- Installation kit
- Quick Start Guide
If you want the best security system in Spain installed by us, choose installation.